Skip to main content

For those who are new ... we discuss books.  I list what I'm reading, and people comment with what they're reading.  Sometimes, on Sundays, I post a special edition on a particular genre or topic.

If you like to trade books, try bookmooch

I've written some book reviews on Yahoo Voices:
Book reviews on Yahoo

Readers & Book Lovers Series Schedule

DAY TIME (EST/EDT) Series Name Editor(s)
SUN 6:00 PM Young Reader's Pavilion The Book Bear
alternate THU 11:00 PM Audiobooks Club SoCaliana
FRI 8:00 AM Books That Changed My Life Diana in NoVa
SAT (fourth each month) 11:00 AM Windy City Bookworm Chitown Kev
SAT 9:00 PM Books So Bad They're Good Ellid

Just finished

Now reading

The Philosophical Breakfast Club: Four remarkable friends who transformed science and changed the world by Laura Snyder.  A group biography of Charles Babbage, John Herschel, William Whewell and Richard Jones, four friends who met at Cambridge early in the 19th century, and of how, together, they changed the role of science into something like what it is today.

A Behavioral Theory of Elections by Jonathan Bendor et al. Traditional "rational choice" models of voter behavior don't mesh all that well with how voters actually behave, in particular, they don't do well with predicting turnout. This is an attempt at a different formulation. This will interest election geeks.

Angel in the  Whirlwind: The Triumph of the American Revolution by Benson Bobrick.  A good history of the revolutionary war period, hampered by a complete absence of maps.

Eminence: Cardinal Richelieu and the Rise of France by Jean-Vincent Blanchard. If you thought politics is dirty now, read about what it was like in the days of Louis XIII. Very well done.

Making Modern Science: A Historical Survey by Peter Bowler and Iwan Rhys Morus.  A survey of the history of science from Copernicus to now.

Seduced by logic http://books.google.com/books/about/Seduced_By_Logic.html?id=ZeM9YgEACAAJ by Robyn Arianrhod. This is the story of two women who were seduced by the logic of Newton: Emilie du Chatelet and Mary Somerville. It's an unusual but interesting combination of love story (du Chatelet was also in love with Voltaire), social commentary and history of science.

[The Universal Computer: From Leibniz to Turing The history of the idea of the computer as a universal machine, and of the logic that makes it possible, up to the time of Turing. Fascinating.

Just started .
Another re-read of Cryptonomicon, one of my favorite novels. My review

EMAIL TO A FRIEND X
Your Email has been sent.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.

Add keywords that describe this diary. Separate multiple keywords with commas.
Tagging tips - Search For Tags - Browse For Tags

?

More Tagging tips:

You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?

You must be a member of a group to use this feature.

Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
(The diary will be removed.)
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?

Comment Preferences

•  Just started dead tree version of (13+ / 0-)

Distant Thunders by Taylor Anderson, #4 in his Destroyermen series. During WWII a couple of US destroyers take cover from pursuing Japanese in a storm squall and find themselves on an alternate world where dinosaurs are still around, humans didn't evolve but two other intelligent species.

Great fun and in this installment our protagonists are recovering from a massive battle and beginning to tentatively interact with the descendants of earlier travelers through the rift.

On my Nook: Huck Finn. I know I read this in Junior High but I do not remember any of it and it seemed like a fitting thing to read after Tom Sawyer. I think I appreciate the satirical aspects of it more now.

Just finished:

Death at La Fenice by Donna Leon: First in her Inspector Brunneti series, it was 99 cents on my Nook. Decent enough but I'm not in a hurry to read #2.

Feed by Mira Grant: Damn, what a great book! It's always great to read an solid take on a zombie novel and this is definitely top of the heap. It's zombie novel crossed with political commentary and works so well I'm concerned the follow up, Deadline, cannot nearly be as good.

All stressed out and no one to choke. -6.00, -6.31

by billssha on Wed May 30, 2012 at 04:42:55 AM PDT

•  Still reading (16+ / 0-)

Still reading Thinking Fast and Slow (Daniel Kahneman) ... Usually I read quite quickly, but this one I am reading in small bite sized pieces and rereading parts (my memory is not what it was) as I really want to remember this stuff. This book explains, if you think about it a bit, a lot of what is going on in the world ... and ultimately why we do need a government to keep corporations in line - because our individual brains are far too easy to manipulate..

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable. - JFK

by taonow on Wed May 30, 2012 at 04:43:12 AM PDT

•  Slow Read (9+ / 0-)

Good Read

Stick with it -- very much worth the effort.

We need jobs, and we need them now. Ben Bernanke, and Congress, are you listening?

by MT Spaces on Wed May 30, 2012 at 06:03:31 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  Fascinating book, isn't it? (8+ / 0-)

I'm reading it, too. As you say, it explains a great deal. I'm more fascinated with it than any book I've read since another one that Kahneman refers to a lot: Nassim Taleb's The Black Swan. But I feel that Thinking, Fast and Slow may be as influential as another book I read decades ago: Richard Dawkins' The Selfish Gene.

I will confess to one misgiving about the Kahneman book: I've just gotten to the point where he talks about his education project in Israel, which was years late in delivery. Kahneman seems to draw a great many conclusions from that experience -- but the conclusion he should draw is that neither he nor any of his colleagues on that project knew grit from granola about formal project management! Now, he's hardly unique in that regard -- I myself am fond of saying that the current condition of the project management discipline is a disgrace to the human race. People die every day because of incompetent project management. But the fault, I feel, lies not in cognitive functions so much as in ignorance about the discipline itself.

Anyhow, I'm certainly enjoying it immensely.

A man? A prisoner! A cage? Iron! Did Noriega care? No, sir! Panama!

by Obama Amabo on Wed May 30, 2012 at 06:20:59 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  Good morning! "Empires of Food". Interesting (15+ / 0-)

broad stroke history of how food production shapes empires, dynasties and the course of civilization. Breezy, (maybe too breezy), fascinating introduction to the subject.  Popular topics here: the role of meat, genetic engineering are side notes to the central themes of land degradation, trade, the centrality of grain in civilizations, water use, causes of famines in history. The author takes the position that we have learned almost nothing about managing food resources, particularly in light of climate change and advocates for sustainable, low input (not organic), locally oriented food systems.

“The first principle [in science] is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool.” Richard Feynman

by the fan man on Wed May 30, 2012 at 04:45:45 AM PDT

•  This week's books (11+ / 0-)

On the Nook AND traditional books:

Casket of Souls, by Lynn Flewelling - I got the paperback on Sunday (two days early, thank you Barnes & Noble) and the Nook version yesterday, so which version I read depends on where I am.  Warring cabals, warring countries, political intrigue, actors who aren't what they seem, and a strange plague that strikes the poor and the rich alike make for the best Nightrunner book since Stalking Darkness.  Just marvelous.

The Devil in the Grove, by Gilbert King - brilliant look at Thurgood Marshall's involvement in a Florida case that became known as a second Scottboro.

In the queue:

On the Nook:

Redshirts, by John Scalzi - parody/deconstruction of Star Trek, from the point of view of the poor bastards in red who always get killed.  I just about died laughing over the sample and eagerly anticipate the rest.

Traditional books:

The Lost Messiah, by John Freely - Sabbatai Sevi was a 17th century Jewish mystic who became convinced that he was the Messiah, led an apocalyptic movement of European and Near Eastern Jews, and then abruptly converted to Islam.  This is his story.

•  How To You Like The Nook? (8+ / 0-)

I've not gotten a Kindle yet. Or any e-reader. I am a huge, huge tech geek, but honestly I still like the "old school" way of reading, you know on paper.

But I was looking at the Nook Tablet and it seems to be just what I want/need. An e-reader that will also serve is a mini-computer. I don't need all the functionality of say an iPad, that is what my $3,000 laptop is for. I just want to be able to play some games on it. Read. Take some notes.

Just curious your experience with it if you don't mind me asking.

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Wed May 30, 2012 at 04:58:18 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  I have a first generation Nook and love it (7+ / 0-)

It's very portable, charges easily overnight, and I can change the font size.  I've heard really good things about the Color Tablet as well.  Best part is that the Nook can download books from other sources (the Baen Free Library, Project Gutenberg, etc.) as well as PDFs, which is how I got a manuscript from my friend Walter before he'd even submitted it to a publisher :)

Most Barnes & Nobles have sample Nooks for you to look at and try.  Check it out - I think you'll like it a lot.

•  I really like my Nook as well (5+ / 0-)

Had been debating on Nook vs. Kindle but since I have a B&N member card with coupons so that made my decision for me!

Like Ellid I have the Nook Simple Touch and I love its functionality, how it charges quickly (and doesn't drain that quickly), etc. I also live the feature that lets you see where the next chapter begins; small, but I like it.

I considered color but it didn't seem worth it w/o reliable wi-fi. My only tiny complaint is that it seems that Kindle books are sometimes cheaper than B&N's prices but I'm still happy with my choice.

All stressed out and no one to choke. -6.00, -6.31

by billssha on Wed May 30, 2012 at 05:24:53 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  Three things I love my Kindle for (1+ / 0-)
        Recommended by:
        ferg

Adjustable font.  The older I get, the more I appreciate this.

Vacations and business travel.  Carrying a Kindle or a Nook is much easier than a suitcase full of books.

I can buy books without worrying about where I will store them.  With a small house and more than 1600 physical books this is a real concern.

I'm thinking of getting a Nook too so I can get some of the books not available on the Kindle.

Things I don't like about the Kindle:

They break.  Not often, but when they do it is guarenteed you will be in the middle of a really good book.

The editing on many of the e-books I have truly sucks.

You can build collections of related books on the Kindle, but these collections don't carry over into the "Cloud" storage.

The "Cloud" does not know how to alphebetize by author and there is no way to correct its misplacements.  So keeping track of which of an author's books I own, and finding it when I want to re-read it is a pain.  I use Librarything to track my physical, virtual and audio books, which helps some.

Once something enters your Cloud it seems to be there forever.  If I happn to buy a book that really stinks I would like to be able to delete it completely-why should it clutter up my Cloud?  Even something like a "stinks-do not re-read" file would be useful.

The last thing I don't like is these books are a lifetime rental--no one can inherit one's Kindle books.  Many of my favorite books were my parents', in-laws or passed on friends.

Democrats give you the Bill of Rights; Republicans sell you a bill of goods!

by barbwires on Wed May 30, 2012 at 06:03:01 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  Got an amazon card for my birthday... (11+ / 0-)

So have new books!

Just finished "The Wind Through the Keyhole" by Stephen King, Dark Tower 4.5

Reading "Hunt the Moon" by Karen Chance, Cassandra Palmer #5

Up next: 11/22/63.

I also bought three compendiums that are on the way, they weren't available on Kindle. The Cheysuli Series by Jennifer Roberson. I read them before years ago, used to own them, lost them to storm damage about 6, 7 years ago. Found them used on amazon.

So essentially I got 11 books for my $50 amazon card my mom gave me. Could have gotten more if I hadn't gotten the two Stephen King's but I really wanted those.

by FloridaSNMOM on Wed May 30, 2012 at 04:51:37 AM PDT

•  My Dad Was At A Flee Market (10+ / 0-)

and got five of Jack Higgins books for .75 cents each. Hardcover. Looks like they've never even been read. I don't know much about Higgins, other than he seems to be one of those authors that writes like a book a month :). But he says as spy/thrillers go, he ain't half bad. So I'll be reading him for the next few weeks I guess.

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Wed May 30, 2012 at 04:53:42 AM PDT

•  Bubble gum yesterday. (11+ / 0-)

Picked up a James Patterson book, Violets Are blue, on Monday at the local AIDS thrift store for 29 cents (I miss having a"cents" symbol on my keyboard.  I refuse to write $0.29).   Took a train ride up and back to and from work to finish.

Patterson is the Thomas Kincaide of writing (RIP, Tom.)  Prolific, marginally competent, and utterly predictable.  But it's a good way to turn off one's brain for a few hours.

On a more literary note, reading Rules For Old Men Waiting by Peter Pouncey.  Only 50+ pages in so far.  Far enough to know that this guy can write.

They had three and a half decades to set their rhythms, coming and going to their secret fastness, the Night Heron House with its woods and pond. When Margaret fell ill and the doctors said they could do no more for her, they had moved to the Cape, as they had always planned in such a case, “year-round”; in fact, she had three seasons left, fall to spring, 1986–1987. At first the house had seemed to banish sickness. They had moved their bed into the living room, so she would not have to manage the stairs, but in the large, airy space she bustled light-footed as ever; she set up her easel, and started a series of tree-scapes framed by the windows at different times of the day. The trees on the canvas got barer, MacIver noticed, as the season turned, but the paintings got lighter, at first because the angle of focus was raised to allow more cloud and sky, and at the end, in the unfinished ones, because the marks on the prepared white canvas, while precisely made, were fainter, less assertive: the effect left on her only viewer was of being pulled in her art past the blank of whiteness to the vanishing point of thin air.

As winter approached, they would still visit the pond on good days, though they didn’t stay long to absorb its more furtive movement; they would come out at the end of the path and stand a few moments looking, an old couple supporting each other in a lover’s stance, heads inclined towards each other, his rangy arm around her frail shoulders, her mittened hand around his waist. Then they would work their way back; she only needed a sighting, it seemed. Things were moving faster for them now, forcing changes they could not plan. In no time the number of hours she could be up each day, the number of feet she could walk, were shortening on them. By the end of February, she was confined to bed, daily falling further away from him deeper into sickness. He was ill himself, he knew, but nothing to this. First weekly, then twice a week, he would make grim sallies to the drugstore for the morphine prescribed from New York, and come back as fast as he dared, fearful of finding another visible weakening. There was no talk of going somewhere else for final care. It would end here, in this room. He would read to her, coax her to eat a little, play Mozart to her, spin new tales she would like about his boyhood on Loch Affric, and games and battles farther afield. When she drowsed, he would stay sitting on in the bentwood rocker through the fading afternoon. She would wake up and read his unguarded face; she could see her fierce old Scot being gentled out of character by his own secret illness, never to be mentioned, and by grief.

It was all grotesquely new to him; he was not a man who had ever willingly let things be taken out of his hands. Sometimes she would send him on small missions, to shake him out of his spellbound broodings. She would ask him to go down to the pond, “and report back on your findings.” At first in the winter, he would have to work hard for interesting gleanings to take back to her—animal tracks on the frozen pond, an air bubble caught in the creamy ice inshore around the heron’s branch, the number of trees deep he could count in the leafless screen of woods across the pond, viewed from the oak where they hung the towel. When the grudging days of early spring arrived, and the trees were fretted more with undergrowth, the views foreshortened, but there was more to report. One day in late April, he had taken her back a box turtle, patterned in a smart brown and yellow plaid, but built a little too high off the ground, like the old Volkswagen Beetle, to be aerodynamically sound. MacIver had put him on the quilt, and the little fellow had finally stuck his head out of his shell and taken a couple of steps, before pooping quite impressively right there on the bed. Margaret had given him the Scottish name of Archibald, and insisted that MacIver take him back to exactly the same leaves in which he had found him, with the added gift of a lettuce leaf for his pains. She died three days after that, on the first soft day that promised full-blooded spring.

Ancora Impara--Michelangelo

by aravir on Wed May 30, 2012 at 04:56:27 AM PDT

•  just finished (11+ / 0-)

The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh. I love flowers and this was a wonderful exploration of how a damaged soul communicates with others using the Victorian language of flowers.

I just started 1491 by Charles Mann. I am only finished with the introduction but I am hooked.

A society grows great when old men plant trees in whose shade they know they shall never sit. - Greek proverb

by marleycat on Wed May 30, 2012 at 04:57:13 AM PDT

•  Just finished Caitlin Moran's (13+ / 0-)

How to be a Woman.Wise-ass and wise, both. & laugh out loud funny.Highly recommended. Also finished China Mieville's allegorical adventure (& Moby Dick homage) Railsea. Marketed as a YA novel,but I feel certain most Mieville fans will enjoy it. I did ;)

Nearly finished with Marjorie Kelly's Owning Our Future: The Emerging Ownership Revolution Basically this is a survey of varied business practices that are all part of a (re)generative model. IF there is an ethical & sustainable future for capitalism,then the examples here are clear guideposts on how it  could be accomplished. This is a book that many kossacks might enjoy & I hope some choose to write diaries on it ;)

"George RR Martin is not your bitch" ~~ Neil Gaiman

by tardis10 on Wed May 30, 2012 at 05:01:14 AM PDT

•  Bits here and there (8+ / 0-)

Iron Sunrise by Charlie Stross which I started but have yet to finish.

Psychohistorical Crisis by Donald Kingsbury which I'm reading as a "slow-read" instead of my normal, breakneck pace. He writes so rarely that he deserves some respect.

On the Kindle:

The Star Wars:Thrawn Trilogy. I needed some dreck in my life although Timothy Zahn actually is a good writer.

Ventus by Karl Schroeder

and the latest Asimovs Science Fiction. Ok, I haven't opened it yet. But I will.

I'm struck by how the meanest, cruelest, nastiest people brag about how they live in a Christian nation. It's rather telling.

by terrypinder on Wed May 30, 2012 at 05:02:08 AM PDT

•  Just Finished... (9+ / 0-)

the audiobook version of The Girl Who Played With Fire.  Really liked it and immediately began the 3rd in the series - The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest.  Picks up immediately where Fire left off.  I was skeptical that this series would live up to the hype, but I was glad to have been proven wrong.

Also just began Patricia Cornwell's Jack the Ripper: Case Closed.  I am a fan of true crime stories and it doesn't get much more true crime than Jack the Ripper.  I'm only about 25 pages into so I can't say if it's good or bad.

•  Just got done (9+ / 0-)

With Company by Maxx Barry. It is a look at corporate politics that is kind of like Dilbert meets the Terminator. Dilbert wins that one, BTW.

Do Pavlov's dogs chase Schroedinger's cat?

by corwin on Wed May 30, 2012 at 05:19:13 AM PDT

•  The boy and I are more than halfway... (13+ / 0-)

through Carl Hiaasen's "Chomp." We're enjoying it.

A few weeks ago, I saw the book "Fifty Shades of Grey" on my nightstand. Apparently, my wife purchased it. I browsed through it, and it didn't take me long to realize it's nothing more than a 300-page Penthouse Forum letter.

It turns out my wife, after finishing it, gave it to my 75-year-old mother, who, in turn, completed it and gave it to my 25-year-old niece.

It occurs to me that this would be a much better story if, say, the book in question were "One Hundred Years of Solitude."

It also occurs to me that I'm going about this writing thing all wrong. See, I've been trying to land an agent, without success, for my non-sex-romp novel.

My new plan? Latch on to the latest trends and combine smut, vampires, and "history" (like the Abe Lincoln/vampire book).

I will now begin work on my new novel: "Mamie Eisenhower: Succubus Vampire Nympho."

How about I believe in the unlucky ones?

by BenderRodriguez on Wed May 30, 2012 at 05:19:35 AM PDT

•  I finished Chrissie Wellington's memior (8+ / 0-)

(she's the 4-time women't Ironman world chamopion). She's lived a very interesting life - worked in economic development both for NGOs & the British government, lived all over the world. Didn't even seriously do sporting things until her mid-20s, didn't turn pro til she was 30 - the age most pro athletes are planning their exit. This was a really interesting book, she is such a positive person.

Also reading the Walking Dead comics, just finished #8. And just got from the library, Running With the Mind of Meditation.

•  Not my usual. (11+ / 0-)

Reading, "The Globalization of God" by Dara Malloy. Incredible. Talks about the role of monotheism in fostering fundamentalism, authoritarianism, globalization.

I met the author, who lives in Ireland, last month. Then started reading. Quite an argument he's made.

Highly recommended.

Please read and enjoy my novella, Tulum, available in soft cover and eBook formats.

by davidseth on Wed May 30, 2012 at 05:38:16 AM PDT

•  Finally got around to Zinn's (15+ / 0-)

A People's History of the United States. The message...nothing good happened w/o committed people in a movement. Also, women don't get nearly enough credit for the historical role they've played in humanizing and democratizing America.

•  1688 (9+ / 0-)

by Steve Pincus. The author presents the Glorious Revolution not just as the events that fixed what James II put wrong, with his efforts to become an overt Catholic on the throne, but, as the model for the revolutions to come in the future. Edmund Burke had debunked this argument in his day because too many of his contemporaries didn't like what was happening across the English Channel at the time, but, our American Revolution owes a very great deal to the ideas discussed during the 1680's and 90's.

On a completely unserious note, I read (over the weekend) "Cat Daddy" by Jackson Galaxy (the cat whisperer in the "Cat from Hell" series on Animal Planet). Sadly, the pooties were not a prominent as I had hoped, sometimes taking too much of a backseat to Jackson's drug problems.

Just finished: "India" by Diane L. Eck, a survey of Hindu religious sites in the subcontinent. It had the refreshing approach of adopting the Hindu mindset towards holy places, and letting us all come along for the journey.  Quite interesting.

Radarlady

•  Some enjoyable light reading (9+ / 0-)

A used bookstore find called The Court of St. James's by a certain E. S. Turner, published in 1959. It's a history of the English monarchy with a focus on interesting trivia (and some gossip) through the ages, from Saxon times to Elizabeth II.

The book is a fun read, full of drily humorous asides like this one, about grooming in the Middle Ages:

It is noteworthy that while the well-born competed for the privilege of performing menial tasks about the royal person, the shaving of the King's chin was left, and very wisely so, to a professional. Unfortunately, barbers tended to be uncouth fellows. The rules directed that the barber should not begin operations on the King's 'most high and dread person' until an Esquire of the Body or higher dignitary was present. On Saturday nights, unless the King directed otherwise, the barber was to cleanse the royal head, legs and feet, earning two loaves and a pitcher of wine for his pains. As we do not know how often the King directed otherwise, we can form no idea how high and dread he became.

There are, in every age, new errors to be rectified, and new prejudices to be opposed. ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

by slksfca on Wed May 30, 2012 at 05:52:32 AM PDT

•  Grisham & Krugman, among others (8+ / 0-)

End this Depression Now! by Krugman on my iPhone

Just finished The Litigator by Grisham in hardcover

Grisham is always a breezy read, well-written, entertaining, and swift. This one contrasts the world of lawyers for the 99% vs. those for the 1%. It's mild stuff, compared to, say, Dickens. But right now I need something that makes me feel more optimistic.

Krugman is great. Very clear explanation of where we are and what policies could improve things for the 99%.

I enjoy reading on the iPhone. It's surprisingly readable on the iBooks app, and the phone is always with me, so I can read while I'm waiting -- on line at grocery, for my husband at a cafe, etc.

Also Free Fire Zone by Theresa Rebeck.

I have become a fan of Smash and mourn the fact that she has been replaced as show runner. Available in paper and riveting for anyone who wants to know the insider view of working as a writer in film, TV, and theater.

Slogging to the end of Bel Ami by Maupassant

Skepticism of all the elite institutions, not trust, is what required for successful leadership in this era. Digby

by coral on Wed May 30, 2012 at 05:59:51 AM PDT

•  Summer Knight (9+ / 0-)

It's the fourth book in the Dresden Files.  I've read the full thirteen book series twice, and I gotta say.  If you like fantasy fluff with a noir, detective, wizarding bent, and just want to consume some mind candy then it's a good, fast read of a series!

Democracy is often an indictment of the voting populace.

by electricgrendel on Wed May 30, 2012 at 06:04:20 AM PDT

•  Ditto (3+ / 0-)
      Recommended by:
      Aunt Pat, Louisiana 1976, plf515

on Dresden. I listen to them on my Ipod and just finished the series for the 3rd time.
      Except they changed the narrator for Ghost Story and the reviews stunk, so I am reading it for the 3rd time on my Ipad.
      I get it free from the library with Overdrive. Cool set up.
      Can also download free audio books.
      What is your favorite book?
      I just looked at them all,and I can't pick one.
      4-13 I guess.

OBAMA'S GUIDING PRINCIPLES: HOLD NO ONE ACCOUNTABLE. LOOK FORWARD.

by snoopydawg on Wed May 30, 2012 at 08:59:44 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  My favorite book, hands down, is Proven Guilty. (0+ / 0-)

The battle at Artis Tor at the end is just too freaking awesome.  I think my second favorite is Dead Beat.  I have some suspicions, as well, about who Cowl and Kumori are.

I recently finished the series for the second time, but I read it completely out of order. lol  I basically just read whichever one was closest at hand when I finished one of the installments.

When I first read Grave Peril, I never realized how much freaking stuff is in that book.  The party scene is pretty much the entire genesis of the series' plot.  Cowl and Kumori are there; the Leanansidhe is given the athame, Susan is placed in her predicament (which, of course, has profound implications), we meet Thomas, the Knights of the Cross are introduced in the book, we first go into the Nevernever.

I was just sort of shocked that I forgot how much was in that one book.  And I certainly look forward to the return of Mr. Ferro.

Democracy is often an indictment of the voting populace.

by electricgrendel on Sat Jun 02, 2012 at 06:12:46 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  The World According to Monsanto (7+ / 0-)

by Marie-Monique Robin.

Talk about losing faith in the system.

This book is a horror show.

Vote Democrat! Because drinking piss is better than eating shit...

by Tirge Caps on Wed May 30, 2012 at 06:06:05 AM PDT

•  Finishing up "Just Kids," (4+ / 0-)
    Recommended by:
    tardis10, plf515, Aunt Pat, Louisiana 1976

and will probably start Ben Marcus's "Flame Alphabet" after that.

Anybody going to Netroots Nation?  I'll be there.

•  Machiavelli (7+ / 0-)

Machiavelli: cynic, patriot, or political scientist?

It's been a while since I read The Prince but I do think I might need to go back and re-read in the light of these...well, they're either excerpts or essays or speeches really. Very interesting reading so far.

Republicans cause more damage than guns ever will. Share Our Wealth

by KVoimakas on Wed May 30, 2012 at 06:24:01 AM PDT

•  Enjoying Tana French (6+ / 0-)

I actually read the third book first, but used the long weekend as an opportunity to read "In the Woods," and the minute I finished it I picked up "The Likeness."  Wish I could just devote today to reading, but alas I cannot.

•  Hilary Mantel's "Bring Up (6+ / 0-)

the Bodies.".  Sequel to "Wolf Hall.".  Equally intriguing.

On disc 19 of 46 of William Shirer's "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich.".  So detailed I am often hitting the back button.

•  wow, not enough time to read all I want to read (4+ / 0-)
    Recommended by:
    plf515, tardis10, Aunt Pat, Louisiana 1976

i'm currently at the beginning of the third of four books on Russian "others" by Sergei Lukianenko, Twilight Watch. Vampires & witches & magicians, oh my. There were two movies based on the books directed by Timur Bekmambetov, who directed Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter, not to be confused with the imminent Abe Lincoln movie with Daniel Day-Lewis! I saw the movies first and then read the first two books (I prefer the opposite order) and really enjoyed them. Summer plans are to re-read something by Austen and Dorothy Sayers. And I might have to re-read some Conan Doyle after watching Season 2 of Sherlock on PBS. All trad books not e-books. You've given me lots to add to my list to take to the library, thanks everyone.

Exultation is the going/Of an inland soul to sea... . (Emily Dickinson)

by Southcoast Luna on Wed May 30, 2012 at 06:59:30 AM PDT

•  Lee's Cavalrymen by Edward Longacre (5+ / 0-)

very heavy on detail, at times can be a slog, but has completely changed by impression of JEB Stewart and Robert E. Lee.   I have come to see that much of Lee's brilliance was because of Stewart.  And the defeat at Gettysburg was not due to Stewart's cavalry being unavailable -- Lee had access to over 5,000 troopers that Stewart had left with the army.  And could have availed to reconn the Union positions.

Very interesting book if you're interested in the Civil War at all.

Republican marriage is between one man and one woman....plus another woman on the side.

by Alan Arizona on Wed May 30, 2012 at 07:32:47 AM PDT

•  Hi, plf! (8+ / 0-)

I just finished Paul Krugman's "End this depression now!" and I dearly hope that somebody in the White House has read it too.

I finished reading through Joan Aiken's Wolves of Willoughby Chase series; dark, bloody, and funny children's books in an alternate past (19th century) with fantasy elements.

Also just finished a re-read of Lois Bujold's Chalion fantasies, which I savored as much as ever.

Starting on a re-read of Patricia Wrede's first two Frontier Magic books; the third is due out this summer.

I read one of Edmund Crispin's Gervase Fen mysteries, "The Glimpses of the Moon" (mid 20th century English mystery) and enjoyed it very much.

And finally, starting Bill McKibben's "Global Warming Reader".

C'est la vie, c'est la guerre, c'est la pomme de terre.

by RunawayRose on Wed May 30, 2012 at 08:22:37 AM PDT

•  Finished The Sparrow (5+ / 0-)

by Mary Doria Russell.  Fascinating world-building and a compellingly well-written examination of faith set in the context of first contact with extraterrestrial life.  Written in 1996 and set in 2019 and 2060, it is also interesting how several of Russell's extrapolations from American/world culture have turned out now that 2019 is not so far away.

There is a sequel called Children of God, which I will read sooner rather than later, but in before that, I have started Angelmaker, Nick Harkaway's follow-up (just meaning second novel, not in the sequel sense) to Gone Away World, one of my favorite books of a couple of years ago.

•  hi (3+ / 0-)
    Recommended by:
    Monsieur Georges, plf515, barbwires

I have finished reading:

The Dead of Winter by Rennie Airth

Grand Ellipse by Paula Volsky

I am reading:

At Canaan’s Edge: America in the King Years 1965-68 by Taylor Branch
    (pg. 324 of 772)

No End Save Victory, Essays on WW II ed. by Robert Cowley  (pg. 202 of 688)

Night Train to Lisbon by Pascal Mercier (pg. 165 of 436)

In the Shadow of the Cypress by Thomas Steinbeck (pg.15 of 246)

The Painter of Battles by Arturo Perez-Reverte (pg. 50 of 211)

Join us at Bookflurries-Bookchat on Wednesday nights 8:00 PM EST

by cfk on Wed May 30, 2012 at 01:11:28 PM PDT

•  Too much work right now (0+ / 0-)

to do much extraneous reading.  So I have mostly been re-reading favorites, which takes less effort to my mind than new books.

The only tv I've been watching has been the HBO series Game of Thrones.  It's been sticking reasonably close to the books so far, and I really think they have done a marvelous job with casting and costumes/sets.

Democrats give you the Bill of Rights; Republicans sell you a bill of goods!

by barbwires on Wed May 30, 2012 at 06:17:57 PM PDT

•  "Obama on the Couch" (0+ / 0-)

Years ago I read "Bush on the Couch" by the same author. In both books the author (a practising psychiatrist) uses profiling techniques such as used by the CIA, FBI, etc., to discern the character of a distant subject from written works, public behavior, speeches, etc.

Some of the basic ideas are that Obama was abandoned by two fathers, and sort of, by a mother.  His absorbed the the myths his mother (and grandparents) wove about his absent father.  He identifies with his father, but he lives in a white world. He seeks harmony to reconcile this.

This plays out in the political stage.  In his search for reconcilation with the father figure (those unavailable to him) he is willing compromise the values of his natural supporters and to justify his minimization of those loyal to him. The book fleshes this out and more.

I'm almost finished now, where he has the Tea Party on the couch. While I think there is some overreach on Obama, the Tea Party diagnosis seems to be spot on.

Two days ago I finished "Anatomy of Addiction", about the use of cocaine in 19th century medicine, focusing on two users, an American surgeon and Sigmund Freud.  Freud, apparently jumped the gun in praising cocaine for medical uses (and used it, himself, for maybe 15 years) with some devastating results for some patients.  Makes me think that this was only a warm up act.

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site